Monday 14 May 2012

quirky quinoa...


I recently acquired a packet of quinoa. I had seen its mug around the traps but had never been brave enough to face it alone. However, one dreary night
whilst stalking around the forests of Pinterest I came across said quinoa in a rather appetising salad thanks to Food, Love & Life. 
The recipe uses American terms so if you're not down with such lingo as cilantro or scallions I've included the Aussie version below (the recipe calls for a jalapeño pepper, I just used a birds eye chilli because I'm a wuss bag when it comes to spicy things):


TOASTED QUINOA SALAD
Ingredients:
  • 1 ½ cups quinoa, rinsed
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 1 cup corn kernels
  • 1 cup diced tomatoes
  • ½ cup thin-sliced spring onions 
  • 1 ripe avocado, diced
  • ½ cup fresh coriander, chopped

Dressing:
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 5 tablespoons oil
  • ½ cup lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped & seeded jalapeño pepper (or chilli, you decide the heat)
  • 1 garlic clove, minced (use more if you like)
  • 1 teaspoon salt



Method:
  1. Rinse the quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer (make sure its fine mesh otherwise the grains will end up down the drain) under cold water for at least 45 seconds. Shake strainer to remove as much water as possible.
  2. Heat oil in a large fry pan. Add rinsed quinoa and cook, stirring, over medium heat until it is light golden brown, about 10 minutes.
  3. Add 2 cups water to the quinoa, and bring to a boil. Cook, covered, over medium-low heat until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is translucent and appears to be uncoiling, 18 to 20 minutes. (I tasted it and it had the consistency of soft/al dente pasta)
  4. Let stand, uncovered, until cool, about 10 minutes.
Dressing
  1. Sprinkle the cumin in a small fry pan, and toast over medium heat, stirring, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. When the fry pan is cool to the touch, add the oil, lime juice, jalapeño pepper, garlic and salt. Transfer to a large bowl, and whisk to blend.
  2. Add the cooled quinoa, corn, tomatoes and spring onions to the dressing, and toss to blend. Sprinkle avocado and coriander on top and enjoy!

Notes: I used bottled lime juice and I think it took over the flavours of everything else. I also used cheap  canola oil in the dressing, next time I will use olive oil. I think that I will also add some char-grilled capsicums and more corn next time.
Have you ever heard of quinoa? What a strange word, its pronounced as 'keen-wah'! Have you ever cooked with it? What quinoa recipes do you like the best?

2 comments:

  1. What's that lovely looking salad next to it on the plate? Can I get the recipie for that please? It really does look delicious.
    Your Quinoa salad looks good too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha that is a delicious tossed salad a good friend made while she was staying with us!
    Iceberg lettuce, red capsicum, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, fresh corriander. Drizzled with french dressing. YUMMO!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so please leave some for me...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...