Sunday 24 June 2012

a little DIY...


Alexa's nursery was feeling a little non-baby and pretty well...lack lustre to say the least. I had picked up one of those canvas wardrobe hanging shelvy thingy-me-jigs (you know the type, right?!) to put her little clothes in. But as I am an avid opp shopper the compartments of said thingy-me-bob gradually became bombarded with pretty little numbers and began to sag and look all sad. So...enter the great cupboard hunt.


As I just mentioned I am an avid opp shopper so I was never going to buy any sort of furniture (or pretty much anything else for that matter) for full price. And as we only have one car and the man requires getting to and from work most days, manoeuvring this cupboard-hunt was quite a debacle. It took numerous weeks to and fro-ing. I had my first encounter with the tip-shop. (Do they have these where you are? What bargains have you found?) but only came away with a nice new tin to add to my collection and a killer Swiss-ball exercise DVD all for $2. Alas no drawers.

But the sun was shinning (well it was actually over cast) one Saturday and after roping my (9 month pregnant) sister-in-law along for the trek we stumbled upon a 1/2 price sale at one of my fave oppys. I know right, as if op shops aren't cheap already, but to have a 1/2 price sale, now that's what I'm talking about!!! Anyway I made a bee line straight for the furniture and there it was....cue godly-like-sun-shining-from-the-heavens music!!!! A lovely chest of drawers for $15...make that $7.50!!!! And would you believe it fit perfectly into my little hatch back car, even the lady that helped me carry them to the car made such a comment!

Anyway they were in need of some TLC and I was in the mood for some DIY!!!
 The starting product. Fairly worn and chipped but I can see its potential!



 First we primed all the surfaces and Lee suggested we add a lovely decorative wooden trim to hide the parts of chipboard that were making it look old and hagged.
 Primed the handles too as they would not be covered with paper.

 This is the scrap book paper pack I bought from Lincraft for $20 (hahah more than the actual drawers!!)

 The drawers covered with paper. Now that was some hard decison making on my part!
 This is the head board we are still working on. I was too impatient to get the drawers into Alexa's room to wait for liquid nails to set!!! So we still have to add this yet. The animals and flower will be made out of the same paper set I used for the drawers.
The head board is cut out and painted. Now to glue and nail.

The (almost) finished product. I'm so so happy with the result so far. I'll be sure to post a pic of when we add the head board. Do you like the little lady's collection of Golden Books? I picked up most of them from various opp shops around the country side!

So in total we spent:

Drawers $7.50
Primer $12
Paint $23
Wooden Trim $15
Paper $20

TOTAL: $77.50 (although we pretty much have a whole tin of primer and paint left over and also 18 sheets of quality scrap booking paper! So it would have equated to less in my opinion!!)

Sentimental value: endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so please leave some for me...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...