Wednesday 18 April 2012

why vegan?

I guess my reasons for deciding to become a vegan are pretty selfish really;
to improve my health and gain a little more energy. Any added energy at the moment would be much appreciated with the bebe waking at 2 hourly intervals during the night!

My partner and I gave veganism a go a few years back and felt the effects of a cleaner diet after about 3 weeks. The weeks prior however were probably the most smelliest and gassiest of our entire relationship! We seriously could have ran a car on the fumes we were emitting. Thank god we hadn't just started dating! Anyway our attempt was only half-arsed as we would still consume animal products outside the house, you could say we were closet vegans.

I had another crack at the start of 2011 but then found out we were (finally) pregnant and my limited nutritional education convinced me that it would be safer for our growing babe to eat meat and drink cows milk. This is another reason why we thought it would be better to wait til our daughter was at least 6 months and starting solids (not solely reliant on breastfeeding) for myself to begin a vegan diet with vengeance. I know now since further research into alternate sources of complete protein, calcium and vits and minerals that it is safe to be pregnant and breastfeed as a vegan, but alas we decided against it.

So the other night I went on the PeTA website (http://www.peta.org/living/default.aspx) for a little perusal, mainly for recipe-inspiration and stumbled across a video about the mistreatment of agricultural and farmed animals. I realise there are loads of these videos out there and their intention are to shock, but gosh I felt physically sick. I knew then that I must step up this want to become vegan to actually doing it. (Reminds me of a wonderful quote from Bruce Lee "knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do".)

My process is slow at the moment. I have cut out dairy, which I knew would be the hardest thing for me as I was raised on a dairy farm so my love for everything dairy runs very deep. I always said if I could only eat one thing for the rest of my life it would be yoghurt! I'll keep you posted with my progress...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so please leave some for me...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...